Monday, January 3, 2005

"SA UGOY NG DUYAN" (with English translation)

Rating:★★★★★
Category:Music
Genre: Other
Artist:Lucio San Pedro/Levi Celerio

I do not know how to classify this. It is classical for me, but it hardly classifies as such in international standards. It maybe folk or maybe country.

The song Ugoy ng Duyan, literally translated to "the swaying of the hammock", was composed by Lucio San Pedro and the lyrics were by Levi Celerio, both National Artists whose memories will live on long after their death in 2003. More than a year ago, I saw an article about this song. It was actually made while one of the artists (or maybe both) were traveling by water and they/he had the inspiration as they/he felt the lulling of the waves.

"Duyan" by Nestor Leynes


What is the song about? Mainly, it is the love and longing a child feels for his mother who has either been long gone, or still alive but, you know, one really misses the simplest times in his life. It is deep and moving and, if you're the mushy type, may make you want to cry...

However, my research before brought me to the discovery that the song is not only about the mother-and-child relationship, but is rather more of the nationalistic nature. Still, it is not the nationalistic part that gets to a lot of people, but the mother-and-child bonding that makes you want to go back to those good ol' days.

Different artists have recorded the song, most recently Regine Velasquez, Lea Salonga, and Aiza Seguerra. Find them and compare, if you have the time.

Below are the lyrics. After it is the translation I made. I didn't make it so literal so as not to make it too corny or maybe even cheap. I also shortened it and made it as a poem so that it wouldn't sound very repetitive:


SA UGOY NG DUYAN

Sana'y di nagmaliw ang dati kong araw
Nang munti pang bata sa piling ni Nanay
Nais kong maulit ang awit ni Inang mahal
Awit ng pag-ibig habang ako'y nasa duyan

Sana'y di nagmaliw ang dati kong araw
Nang munti pang bata sa piling ni Nanay
Nais kong maulit ang awit ni Inang mahal
Awit ng pag-ibig habang ako'y nasa duyan

Refrain:

Sa aking pagtulog na labis ang himbing
Ang bantay ko'y tala, ang tanod ko'y bituin
Sa piling ni Nanay, langit ay buhay
Puso kong may dusa sabik sa ugoy ng duyan.

Sana'y di nagmaliw ang dati kong araw
Nang munti pang bata sa piling ni Nanay
Nais kong maulit ang awit ni Inang mahal
Awit ng pag-ibig habang ako'y nasa duyan.

Sa aking pagtulog na labis ang himbing
Ang bantay ko'y tala, ang tanod ko'y bituin
Sa piling ni Nanay, langit ay buhay
Puso kong may dusa sabik sa ugoy ng duyan.

Nais kong matulog sa dating duyan ko, Inay
Oh! Inay...



LULLING CRADLE

Those good old days, I pray won't fade
When I was young and in Mother's care
Oh, to hear dear Mother's lullaby again
The song of love as she rocked my cradle.

In my deep and peaceful slumber
The stars watch over me in vigil
Life was like heaven in the arms of Mother
Now my heart longs for the lulling cradle.

Those good old days, I pray won't fade
When I was young and in Mother's care
Oh, to hear dear Mother's lullaby again
The song of love as she rocked my cradle.

Lull me, Mother, in my dear old cradle
Oh, Mother.


Translation Copyright © J.Gi Federizo


********************************************************* 

DISCLAIMER: The translation above should not, in any way, be taken as an official translation. It is only a translation I made so that people will understand. However, please do not just copy off and not give credit or link here.

UPDATE: Also, I am mentioning this as I am finding out now (October 2016) that my version is being copied and mistaken as the official translation. It is not and is probably not even the best translation out there…Thanks for understanding.

14 comments:

  1. I love the latest version of this recorded by Aiza.. you have an extremely interesting blog and methink syou should be a writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bugsey. I am actually a writer ;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I admire you so much and I knew that you will be very successful in your chosen field..Who cares about if it's not the Official Translation what counts is your heart putting into it to it for others to understand how beautiful this song is..

    Thank you very much and I love it.. :)) so have a great weekend too at please take care lagi...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok Gi..I would like to ask your permission if I can use your write up here when I upload this song...I want to share to my other friends how great You are as a writer and You'll never know somebody within my contact may offer some career opportunity :)) wink di ba.....thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just concerned about their property rights, hee hee...By all means, you can use my translation po, just please indicate it's only my own translation shared to friends :>

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think when you put disclaimer and and put their names then it won't be a a problem..And I will for your translation para naman makita nila ang galing ni Gi.. :) thanks Gi..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walang anuman po. Labis ko po itong ikinagagalak...Naks!!! *kindat!*

    ReplyDelete
  8. kindat din 5 stars ka pa ..thanks uli Gi..

    ReplyDelete
  9. i want to share this song to all my mother friends here in Canada.. how do i do it w/o posting the link itself? thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you mean the audio or the lyrics? Anyway, if just words, copy-paste is always the way to go...I've forgotten if I uploaded any audio. Will find out. :>

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this song! You're translation is perfect!

    ReplyDelete