Saturday, January 15, 2005

The Legend of the Turtle



Did you know that aside from Michelangelo, Leonardo, Raphael and Donatello, there was a fifth Teen-age Mutant Ninja Turtles member?

This fifth member was a shy little girl in gradeschool. Then high school happened. The fact that she had to make new friends with kids who knew each other since gradeschool, were mostly more outspoken and liberated, were mostly more well-off, seemed like a smart lot, and mostly lived in the same freakin' town...Well, that was a lot to bear. Hey! She was thirteen! Just starting her teens. Psychologists are right when they say that the teen-age years are times for a lot of confusion and insecurities.

lonely-turtle

She soon again proved psychologists right. A change in her became noticeable. Short kid that she already was, she became shorter and developed a kind of humped back. She didn't even know. So her parents would say, "Stand straight! You're slumping again." She would not believe it, stood as straight as she thought she could, and said, "Here! See? I am standing straight!" But it was only when she checked herself out in the mirror one day did she realize they were right. Only then did she realize why the bullies sang the theme song for the Teen-age Mutant Ninja Turtles whenever she passed by. It was for fun, at her expense.

She had resented that they called her "mutant" and felt so ugly when all the while, they were pertaining more to the "turtle" part! In a sense, she was relieved and gradually corrected her Quasimodo posture. It was hard and it indeed hurt a bit, but the results were worth it. The teasing stopped and while it wasn't a quick "recovery" for her ego, she did gradually gain some form of respect later on. It was later in her senior year, during Home Economics class, that she found out why she became that way. The tendency to slump, according to a book, was a manifestation of great insecurity...Boy, was she quite the manifestation!

So now, that girl is no longer that turtle. Once in a while, she feels the insecurities adult life has so abundantly offers, but somehow, she manages even when she sometimes fails. Yet, she keeps the story alive by sharing it. She knows there is a lesson to be learned in there somewhere...

Do I even have to say who she is? ;p

7 comments:

  1. Hehz.. now it also explains my facination with turtles.... :P

    Thanks for sharing this~

    ReplyDelete
  2. This.

    And perhaps also the fact that like turtles, I sometimes have the tendency to run & hide in my imaginary shell when I feel like I'm not quite ready to face the world & its complexities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see...You know, for some reason, I love it that turtles so accurately describe most people...It is a fascinating creature...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those bullies were quite brave...you know?! mocking a turtle...that was a NINJA...they were lucky I tell'ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eh wasn't it Splinter or April????

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL!!!! Yeah, I could've pulverized all of 'em. But that is not the way of a true Ninja, according to my sensei ;p

    In fairness to those bullies, aside from the singing, they never really bullied me. They just teased me because my hair looked the same as that of another girl's so when I had my back at them, they'd pretend to call me "Lorelie! Lorelie!" and then say "Oops! Sorry!" They did the same to her, calling her by my name. I really didn't mind that. She was pretty anyway :)

    ReplyDelete