Saturday, January 29, 2005

SELF-STUDY



http://www.huffingtonpost.com/liaquat-ali-khan/fantasies-of-flying_b_7992270.html


Test the Wind

To test the wind
I must learn to fly,
but clip my wings
and my dreams shall die.

My wings spread out
for me to see
what plans has God
laid out for me.



Copyright © 2004 J.Gi Federizo


For two consecutive nights now, I have stayed up really late doing solo workshops - just me, myself, and I. I have been teaching myself and updating my knowledge on more computer graphics stuff. Basically, I‘m the teacher and the student.

You see, I have noticed that some companies are looking for graphic artists. Most of the time, they need people who are proficient, at least, in Corel Draw and Adobe.As computer graphics are really my interests and as I have background in several different programs (due to the nature of my last job), I have been sending out resumes.

However, “proficient” isn’t really the right word to call me as of now that is why I‘m studying stuff so that if ever I get interviewed or be made to take some qualifying tests, maybe I‘ll have more chance. So far, I‘m just proficient in Powerpoint, Photodraw, Paint, and Publisher, and companies aren’t really keen on those. I know a bit about Corel Draw 8.0 and Adobe Pagmaker 6.5, so now I‘m studying more advanced versions. Still need to explore, too, the Printmaster 10 thingy.

Now, to some, these maybe amateurish already, but that’s what I am, an amateur. But since that seems enough for some companies, I‘m trying my luck.

Would’ve also applied for video editor positions. However, I only know linear editing as that’s what I had been doing for years due to the “old” editing machine available. During the basic video production workshop I attended before, however, we did a bit of non-linear editing. I guess I will brush up on that soon. I only have the primitive Adobe Premiere 5.0, though, but at least, I know how things should go, I know the principles to follow .

Non-graphic positions aside, I‘ve brought from home old college notes and hand-outs to familiarize me again with journalism and editing (as I‘ve learned a lesson from a recent experience). I also plan on familarizing myself with I.T. terms (also because of that experience). And – oh! - gotta ask my friend how she found out her actual typing speed. Companies actually inquire about that.

As for my true love – writing – all I can really do is cross my fingers. It seems my chances are rather slim. It seems my background isn’t enough to “back” me up.

So far.

15 comments:

  1. P.S. Finally had time to update (TJ, Human CATS) and add some photo files.

    ReplyDelete
  2. always good to stay on track with the technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh another one having the same interest =p but you play around more different software than I do.. I always like to search for tutorials on net, some rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do the best with what you have in the time you have it...and from what I read, you seem to already be doing that.


    "But you do. You have magic. Maybe you can't find it, but it's there.
    You called Robin Hood, and there is no Robin Hood.
    You have all the power you need, if you dare to look for it." - Molly Grue, Last Unicorn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments, guys!

    "oh another one having the same interest =p but you play around more different software than I do..." Those stuff aren't really that advanced, not really. But since many people that I personally know don't get to "play" with such stuff, they think I'm already a genius, ha ha haaaaa!!!!!!!!!

    "I always like to search for tutorials on net, some rock!" Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of luxury yet. Not much time and not much money :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hold on to your dreams, dear one.
    For without dreams, there is nothing much left to life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha ha... I didn't touch video editing before, it seems fun & nice. I hope to experience it too!

    money? I mean those free tutorials..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you, Foxy, whole-heartedly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dennis, I meant the use of computers for Net-surfing (and etcetera) purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amateurs work hard enough at something, and they turn professional. That's the way things go.

    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the best way to learn?

    by yourself.....mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see.. =p sorry! but no problem if you keep on going to experiment it, skills will improve.. definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. impressive resume, huh! i got this flash application called 'Typing Dr.' which is basically what you need to know ur typing speed... u might as well use it... it looks friendly though i don't use it... i see my pals here having those fun times in the exercises on this software... if you need it, i can send it to you... only 1.33MB

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, please do, Jon L.! Thank you lots and lots and lotssssss!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Been reading early posts and sw this one. Thought I'd ask if you still can send to me? ;p

    ReplyDelete