Saturday, September 4, 2004

Keeping my mouth shut


http://www.punjabigraphics.com/pg/shut-up/page/23/


(sorry if this is the kind of message I'm posting as opening salvo)

I would like to talk about what I've been doing these past days but judging from what I feel right now, I've changed my mind. In fact, I'd like to crawl under my shell again.

I just visited a newsgroup that I always visit. In one of the discussion threads there, I commented on somebody else's comment, but only on a part of it, agreeing with her (I assume it's a "her"). Then some people reacted in defense of the person being discussed. Let's call her "A". Not that I was criticizing "A" (dunno about the other girl although she did say she wasn't criticizing), but suddenly, I felt like one of the antagonists on TV, the worse part is I like "A". And worst! One of those who got a bit mad, "L", sort of works with her and I like her, too! So maybe, tomorrow, when I'll see them, I won't tell them it's me and give them my other real name. Yeah, cowardly. But I just can't take it tomorrow. The least I wanted was to hurt people's feelings. Not unless they're my enemies, but that's not the point. And don't ask me what it's all about. I don't want to hurt any more feelings. I've been so bad already.

And this was not the only instance that this happened. I also gave my opinion on another discussion in the same group once and while the almost-angry replies were not directed at me, I couldn't help but feel it. I had been making progress these past weeks until this thing with "A". The funny thing is - not that it is funny - this sort of thing has been happening to me these past weeks.

I've realized that no matter how tactful you are, some topics are just not supposed to be discussed where anyone reading it could get hurt. I'm sure, some people would say, "But it's your opinion! Everyone's entitled!" But the point is, on cases like that of "A" 's, people felt we were stomping on her opinion. I would not have minded but since the issue was very personal, when you think about it, I understand how hurtful it could be to her. She did announce before that she doesn't get affected anymore, but you never really know unless you know her personally, do you?

So from now on, if I really have to give my opinions on delicate matters, I'll e-mail whoever asks for them instead. Well, they are asking for it. As for this journal, this is my place so I think I can give my opinions when I want to. My thoughts can be debated, that's okay, but like I said before, I don't want any Word War.

1 comment:

  1. 18 years ago! And I don't know anymore who A and L were and what the issue was and what group that was...Okay, upon further ruminating, I THINK I know now who they were/are. Just not sure what the issue was or what I meant by "when I'll see them." I also do have a hunch about THAT, but,well, only the Me of 18 years ago can confirm or deny.

    ReplyDelete