Thursday, September 23, 2004

So young...

Just thirty-minutes ago, my friend Colette sent me a text message. Our batchmate in high school, Chris, is dead. It was in the news. Chris was my classmate during my Freshman year. He left two years after.

He was ambushed. Murdered is the more appropriate term. Perhaps, as a broadcast journalist, he angered one or some of the powers-that-be. I wonder how these people can ever sleep at night...

So I will simply and always remember Chris as that thin, gangly, rich kid. He was energetic and had brains and was popular. He wasn't one to befriend every person, but he wasn't a snob either. He often had a ready smile. Mostly, I will always remember that once upon a time, I had a crush on the kid I nicknamed "Missy".

I'm not really sad as if I lost somebody dear. I'm just sad because another life was lost through violence and senseless causes. A young life at that.

4 comments:

  1. yeah, Nicholas Sparks is a must-read. y'know, I also figured him out to be this old guy, probably even dead. but i was dead wrong. Check out www.nicholassparks.com and you'll see why I was dead wrong. You love to write also, I see...his site has a Writer's Corner, and some recommendations....:)
    The Notebook is a must-read. The Notebook is a must-see...So go see it! Now!
    Neways, sorry 'bout ur friend Chris. I've gone through pretty much the same with a friend named Marben. He was swept away in a landslide. Senseless, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Nicholas is younger than I thought. Even before you replied to this, I saw a pic of him in one of the dailies and I realized I was wrong...Yes, I love to write, very much :)

    "The Notebook is a must-read." I wish I could buy this but books here cost a lot, di ba? "The Notebook is a must-see..." I'll try to see who I can drag with me. People at work are busy these days. I haven't even see Feng Shui!

    About Chris, it's okay. Like I said, he wasn't really anyone dear. We were never close, never friends. He was simply a batchmate. I'm just sad for someone who suffered such senseless fate...About your friend Marben, I'm sorry. That's harder because you were actually friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, they do cost a lot, considering the thickness/length of the book. The Notebook costs roughly Php339.00....and i do a lot of reading these days that it's taking a major toll on my pockets....blah...you only live once, right? (that excuse is so lame....i know.) about Marben, he isn't really a friend, in the fullest sense of the word. you know that kind of affinitiy one shares with just a smile, a nod when you meet him across the hallway, the occasional banter...? he just has the ability to make everyone feel at ease, as though they are close friends of his.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "you know that kind of affinitiy one shares with just a smile, a nod when you meet him across the hallway, the occasional banter...? he just has the ability to make everyone feel at ease"...Yup, I can so relate...

    ReplyDelete