Friday, July 22, 2005

Mind Games


http://www.hrmagazine.co.uk/article-details/bad-management-biggest-contributor-to-low-productivity

I just made a draft of my resignation letter. This has gone too far. I will not stand anymore for such unfair and inhuman treatment of us lesser individuals by the powers-that-be. In that letter, I explained the reasons why I want to leave. I wasn't harsh. In fact, I was respectful. But I was frank about the problem with the salary (over-delay of release) and hinted about the lack of light source and ventilation.

I finally did this due to what happened yesterday. We were supposed to be paid last July 10. Since that was a Sunday, I thought maybe it would, at least, be on the next day. But no, they made lots of excuses and, instead, blamed it on the then-Production Manager and us. For the nth time, we posted a summary and copies of our works in the stupid e-group which wouldn't post the artists' works anymore due to lack of "space". The PM created a whole new e-group the week before just so the artists could post there. 

Actually, he collated everyone's work and summary of projects done and e-mailed them to the Big Boss before resigning via YM. Ha! Beat that! He was brave since he didn't sign any contract yet. Lucky him. On the other hand, he was unlucky because he left his old job for this only to be blamed, called stupid and incompetent, etcetera. And he had not been here for a month yet! 

The week went by and there was no money to be had. Came Monday. We were promised we would be paid Friday. I thought that was taking very long already, but okay, as long as they were sure. So the production staff came to work even when we were broke (one even needed money for his daily medicine, which didn't come cheap). 
https://medium.com/@ClearlyNext/when-bad-management-happens-to-good-people-f7bc4b7047be

For the third time, Management changed schedules - from 8am to 5pm schedule to 9pm to 6am, then 12mn to 8am and, now back to 8am to 5pm. What is this?!!! I was okay with change of schedules, but not this erratic! They made it evening before because the Boss would be in the US and he wanted us to be online while it was day there. Then he complained that 9 to 6 wasn't right (when it was his idea) and changed the schedule to a much later time. He said that was because not much were done during the previous sked. Duh! Like, the number of hours are the same, hello! 

The others wanted to complain, especially one of the girls. It really wasn't safe to go out and travel at such hours. So what happened everyone still came early, even me. The only consolation was we had more time to surf the Net, at least.

Anyway, yesterday, we were here in the morning. Then Management said, "Oh! Sorry! They held off the cheque at the other office." What the - ! The other office, which is somewhere else, has no right to hold it. It's our salary! Over-delayed at that! I could explain to you the "other" office, but that would be rumor-mongering, so I won't anymore.

I'm not sure if what they said was true or just one of Management's tactics. Idiots! If it were true, how could that happen? My previous employer had lots more workers but they always paid us on time. It's not that hard to prepare a cheque. Here, they promised us Monday and still, no result by Friday??? Couldn't they do something about it? Their employees aren't rich, Management knows that. If we were, we wouldn't be here saying yes to salary rates much lower than what our contemporaries in the same fields are getting. And then they delay the release of our already measly incomes? HOW DARE THEY!!!!!! 

At lunch break yesterday, I heard the production staff plan not to go to work in the afternoon. When I got back to the office, I found out they made true their threat. So I left also. I wasn't going to stay and be with the Operations Manager-cum-B**ch (OMB). She was the only one left there and I wasn't going to be the one to guard the office. For sure, she would be telling me to do this or that. No way, Jose.

https://www.someecards.com/usercards/viewcard/bad-managers-dont-listen-to-their-employees-because-it-makes-them-feel-insecure-when-they-find-that-employees-are-smarter-than-themselves-06fe6/
Today, I was on time, at 8am. I was the first one there. Seemed like the production staff weren't coming anytime soon, if at all. The Production Assistant (PA), who is a part of the Management, arrived. Then since there's no key yet, she left to go to the house of the OMB. The Head Technician came and we got to talking and, since he had been here much longer, I found out more ugly stuff about this company. 

Anyway, it was way-past 9am and the PA still hadn't come back. That pissed me off. If the OMB was having tantrums and did not want to open the office, the PA could have, at least, come back to tell me or the guy she talked to who was also waiting there before the technician arrived. I said at 10am, I would be leaving. I actually did not want to go to work, to be honest. At ten, I stood up to leave and lo and behold! There they were, in the OMB's car, arriving. I cursed myself for not leaving sooner.
So here I am, working. But I'm leaving after this and make up some excuse. It's not a very encouraging place to work in, really.

So the drama continues...
  

4 comments:

  1. You made the right choice to leave. I'll do the same if I'm in your shoe as well. They've gone too far.
    Inhuman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update: Passed resignation letter Wednesday. Only persons there were the PA and a technician, plus one graphic artist. Was told some already went back to see if the salary would be released. Nada. I told them, "What? You're still hoping?" Everybody's leaving, even the secretaries left already. I'm sure they have no plans of releasing anything, especially since I heard that the Big Evil Boss told the PA to already have our clearances filled. For sure, it was really part of their plan, to just drive us away without paying for anything. Ah, but like I said before, I have a plan. If this works, they won't be able to operate anymore. Anyway, I'm just glad to be rid of them. Who cares about their stupid money?

    ReplyDelete
  3. But is terrible isn't it? How can they don't pay. I mean is against the rightful law. So nothing can be done?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like I said, I'm planning on something. the others have their own plans, too, though, so I've put off mine and will try to see if I like theirs better.

    ReplyDelete