Monday, July 11, 2005

So Basically, We're Trash


http://asia.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2015/04/5-ways-to-trash-your-training.aspx#axzz5Mj2bd9Gt

Well, that's what the Big Boss called the stuff we had been working on for days (nights, to be more literal), He and the Production Manager IM'd each other yesterday and he complained about everything, calling the fruits of our labor uglies and mistakes. He complained about the artworks and the contents (most of which, he approved before he left for the States). Yadda-yadda-yadda...  

All he did was to insult the whole production staff. He didn't exactly complain about my work, but he said the contents were wrong and attributed it to the Production Manager's "inability to handle the job". He said our work won't even pass US standards. Then he went and told us to consult a copy of an American publication for reference. Guess what? I almost puked. It was...eeewww...He thought that just because it's America, everything's better there.

No, I'm not insulting my American friends here. Sorry if you thought so. I'm actually insulting the Big Boss, his crab mentality, and his un-creative personality. The least he could do was to show us a very good example of an American publication. To be fair, I think that was a publication done by Filipinos. That's not the point, though.

Besides, I think he's just making things up. Part of his tactics. I've heard what he has been doing, using stuff created by artists and discarded as trash by him before until the artists leave. Of course, saves him money as he doesn't need to pay absent people compensation. Truth is, the stuff I've seen here aren't all that good. But there are some that are actually are. Funny, but he particularly "hated" the lay-out done by the better artist here. 

What's worst was he said he wouldn't pay the artists for such badly done jobs. WTF! Although I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be one of the artists he mentioned, it's still isn't fair. Let him try and I'll quit. After all, he can't make me stay if he doesn't pay me. 

https://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/c/cunning_plans.asp
So here I am, fuming, and trying to write less creative contents for ads. He wants me to say things point-blank, I'll give him point-blank. Can't help it, though, so I'm adding a bit of spice so the ads won't be so icky, at least.   

I am so out of here once I get the chance. Today - er - yesterday afternoon, I took an exam as a Copy Editor someplace where the working conditions are better, at least, and people are more professional...I just wish I get paid. I really have no money already!

6 comments:

  1. silver lining, dear one, silver lining. hold on to that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I'm hanging on to the thread of my sanity...LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So guess what?

    The other night, he told me to change EVERYTHING I wrote. The next night, turned out he approved some copies...How consistent.

    He told me go straight to the point. But then when he IM'd me the other night, he told me to make bold and catchy taglines...Uh...okay...Advertising that's dull and creative at the same time...And, oh! Don't use double-meanings...What the - ? Does he even know what "double-meaning" means and how it's different from using figures of speech?

    The other night, he said the copies I wrote weren't good (because of the wrong content, which, as I said before, he blamed on the Production Manager). Then last night, he IM'd the PM and mentioned something like this: "Some of the copies are good. It's the artists that mess them all up." Then he went on to praise how I laid out the words...So, like, could he just make up his mind and say I stink or I'm very good?

    No, don't even guess what. I dunno either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you watch Spiderman?

    Your big boss appeared just like J. Jonah Jameson, the publisher of the Daily Bugle, cast by J.K. Simmons.

    Arrogant.

    ReplyDelete