Friday, November 19, 2004

What I Am


I have been thinking. With all the things that are happening around me, where do I stand? I have heard that it is better to have an opinion than none at all. I guess apathy can kill, if not the body, then the soul, and a dead soul is not worth living at all. So I've listed down and contemplated on my positions.



What I am is...

ANTI-WAR. I don't think that anyone actually likes war. Only, there are those who do what they do out of honor, duty, nationalism, or pure faith. Unfortunately, there are also those who do what they do out of ignorance, revenge, misplaced pride, or plain fanaticism. Mostly, wars are caused by those who only want a bigger slice of the world-cake.

PRO-PEACE. People go to war because they refuse to meet half-way and reach a compromise.

ANTI-HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATION. Do I actually need to explain why?

PRO-WOMEN'S LIB. I am so, not because I am female, but because I am human. Make me a man and I still would be pro-Women's Lib. Sad to say, there are countries that still do not recognize the importance of women in society and treat women as second-class citizens. You'd think people came from their fathers' wombs!

ANTI-ABORTION. This is where I draw the line. I think that while women do have the right to decide what to do with their own lives, it does not, in any way, include killing the helpless and innocent. What it is is premeditated killing. There's a word for that - MURDER. Of course, I realize that there are isolated cases that this would be necessary. But that's just it, they are isolated.

PRO-GAY/LESBIAN RIGHTS. Just because you're different from them, it does not make you better or more human. Why can't we just accept that? Straight or not, we all belong to the same species and, therefore, have equal rights as humans. In the end, it really is not up to us to make the final judgment on how an individual fared as a human. Only his/her God holds that right.

ANTI-CAPITAL PUNISHMENT. Yes, cliche, but it is "against God's law". Or if you'll prefer to keep religion out of it, I still say no to capital punishment. I always put myself in the shoes of the accused. What if I know in my heart that I'm innocent, but someone powerful decides to frame me? What if because of that, I cannot, in anyway, prove my innocence? I am innocent but will be dead, anyway...


Let's face it. The Laws of Man, being that of man, is not always just. And come to think of it, let's say the accused is guilty beyond reasonable doubt. The family and friends of the victim get their revenge, with the intent of sending him to death. Isn't that simply making murder legal? So what do we have laws for? The point is lost. It is stretched to a line that we can break if the judicial system allows it.

ANTI-RACISM. All of us have our own biases. I, for one, fall into that trap once in a while. I say things that, I later on realize, smack of racism. But that is the first step, to realize that we are still somewhat racist or, at least, we just maybe wrong. What is important is we keep an open mind and accept that not everyone is like us and will probably remain so forever, that there can also be beauty in diversity.

 

These are my stand on things. If you don't approve, then tough luck for me. If you do, then tough luck on those who don't. Everyone to his/her own opinion. You may love it, you may hate it, but don't go pushing your ideas down another's throat when you know he does not want to swallow your pill. No amount of forcing will do you good if it is not welcome. Do, then just watch him regurgitate it.


These are my opinions and I will not push them down your throat. I just don't want the more bitter pill called "Apathy".

No comments:

Post a Comment