Friday, November 5, 2004

Jobs Ha(u)nting Me

Okay, here's the thing. I have not really sent any job applications yet. I should, I know, especially because the job opportunities are actually coming to me instead of just me looking for them!!! Well, shoot, I make it sound like I'm so in demand. Not exactly. But I feel like they are being served to me on a platter.

Job Opportunity #1: There's a scriptwriting workshop that one TV network is sponsoring. If your application gets accepted and you pass the interview, you're in and will be under the training of a very good and well-respected writer. Also, you are assured of a job in the network after the workshop.

But the thing is, I have heard that being a scriptwriter isn't as easy as simply writing. I heard it last year from someone who worked for the network as creative consultant. At the time, we were both attending a scriptwriting workshop under another respected writer. At the same time last year, the TV network already did this kind of workshop I mentioned but since I still had a job (well, still has, but that's not the point) and I was presently completing the workshop I was in, I didn't try. Anyway, I found out that two people I worked with in our college paper joined last year and are now writing for the network. Both are in my Friendster list so I sent one of them a mail asking direct questions, begging for direct answers.

She - let's call her "O" - did answer directly. "O" does love her work now, and the pay is good when you have a project, but she did explain to me everything, especially it being not stable and the conditions. What I found out discouraged me. The network, being the sponsor, does have the right to give those conditions, but I don't think I can handle them. If I did try to join (deadline for application was the other day) and got in, and if I do decide to go through the workshop and then quit the offered job afterwards, the conditions would be so much against me that I might lose more opportunities.

So yes, I am foregoing that opportunity.

Job Opportunity #2: Got text message from a friend - let's call her "C" - today, saying she and "O" will be taking film classes this semester under this well-known director ("O" will also take scriptwriting classes) and would I like to do so also? So I told her that as much as I would like to, I can't because I'm on my way to bumsville. She asked me why I didn't join the workshop I mentioned earlier so I said I didn't like the conditions. But anyway, she mentioned about the network looking for researchers. I think that one, I will try, but will have to see if they have strict conditions about that, too.


 Job Opportunity #3: A friend - let's call her "W" - who will soon work for a rival network (well, she has been somehow connected with them for sometime now), told me they are looking for writers or maybe researchers, too. It's not announced in the site so "W" volunteered to bring my resume here for me. She hasn't come back yet, so I'm not sure. I'm not blaming her, though. "W" must have forgotten and I don't want to bother her as she's in the middle of resigning also. Can't send application through e-mail because I don't know where to send as, like I said, they have not announced it online.

Job Opportunity #4: Having learned of my resignation, my friend from the Student Affairs Office gave me a name and an e-mail address. This person to be contacted works at yet another rival network. Will e-mail. This is probably going to be the easiest (in terms of the network job-thingies) as first, this person actually asked my friend to make me send a resumé.

Job Opportunity #5: This is the most different but probably the most sure job that I might get. I am part of a group that is trying to build a school for performance and creative arts that will cater to underprivileged kids. As we created this first online, and as I have only attended the two-day meeting and not the others, I haven't met some of the other people yet. Anyway, in our e-group, I posted a message stating my "case" and asked if they knew of any job openings. One guy actually said "I am always on the look out for new teachers"! Turns out he is Vice Chair of the Communication Department or something of a well-known private school! The better part is my degree fits their need because they need people who will teach communication theories, etcetera! The best part is, he said the only requirement he needs is for me to have a degree, and I do!!!! Wow, isn't that grand?

I think I'm almost in. Still not counting too much on it, but hey, it was the Vice Chair himself who invited me...OMG...I'm going to be a teacher...Wake me!


So you see what I meant by the jobs being served to me? They're just...there! I think I will take the part-time teaching job and get another job. These opportunities will actually give me more time to sleep and more time to do other things that I?ve been rearing to do, like join other kinds of workshops or even visit museums.

Okay, now, I really have to start sending my resume!!!


22 comments:

  1. GFY
    ATB ;)

    sometimes i do feel that we r lucky coz we could get any job anywhere so long we r willing to work. altho it's kinda rare for someone to get a job that one loves most with the good pay..........good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Job #4 sounds promising. I hope it pushes through for you, lildove. Btw, I'm curious, what are those conditions in Job #1

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, aren't you just lucky? :-) I heard about teh workshop, and i was interested, if only to LEARN something as i am interested in scriptwriting and screenwriting as a whole. the thing is.....it's in freakin' manila, and i am way up here in the boondocks,and there ain't no way i coud ditch my job for a few days just for it, so....there goes my desire to learn....lolz

    ReplyDelete
  4. "sometimes i do feel that we r lucky coz we could get any job anywhere so long we r willing to work. altho it's kinda rare for someone to get a job that one loves most with the good pay"

    Well, I do feel lucky a bit because the opportunities are coming my way, but until then, a little pessimism should keep me on my toes and not feel laxed. I'm still not sure of anything. As for getting any job anywhere, I'm not really sure about that. I'm just, you said it, lucky. I do love my present job and I love my friends. But I cannot stay here any longer when enemy is too near...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, Raine, can't tell you. I promised my friend I wouldn't tell anyone because it's private info. Anyway, I know people who have worked on TV and I've been told that yes, scriptwriting isn't really a stable job because it's project-based. No project, no money. Well, what else is new about writing???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh well, you'll have more opportunities...

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, you sure are lucky. i wish i had those opportunities back when i was looking for a job just after grad.

    nway, i think getting that part-time teaching job is good. you'll be able to have time to do some writing and join some more workshop to enhance your talents.

    i actually think (though i dunno you well), you'll make a great writer based on how you write here in your site. so, i think you should also pursue that.

    well, GOODLUCK AND GOD SPEED!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for believing in me, She! (He he, parang awards, ah!) But seriously, thank you. Well, I dunno if I'll ever be great but will try and hope to get there someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. know what? as much as i have high admiration for these professions, i NEVER pictured myself in any of these:

    MEDICINE (i am pro-euthanasia....won't that be bitchin' against the Hippocratic Oath? lolz)

    and.....

    TEACHING.......(don't ask....waheheheh!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow... cool! =o) you go gal! ;D

    I'm sure you already know this, but as the offers come pouring in, do keep in mind the reason you left in the first place. Stay focused, keep your goal in target! =) Cos most times, once we've made a move, the option of turning back ceases to be...

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. WHY?

    sorry sometimes im a real pain in the ass... lolz

    come on, do tell.....

    is it because nobody would be able to listen to you coz nobody would be able to see you, wondering, where the heck is the teacher?...'joke, joke, joke'...lolz

    peace buddy....

    you can smack the next time we meet...hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. why? well, for one thing, i believe in karma, and considering what i have been like as a student (sure, i was probably alright most of the time, but i did have my moments.....:-) ).....you know where i'm going with this, right? lolz....

    and....as much as i love kids....i don't have the patience....

    as much as i like to influence people....sometimes i find i just don't care....so what is the point, right?

    yeah...sure. a smack shall be forthcoming. straight up! lolz

    ReplyDelete
  13. well yeah, you had your moments esp. back in high school...dont we all?

    come on, try teaching. apply the philosophy of mr. pengla "the great" : he wanted to be a teacher to be able to experience what it felt like to have a student who behaves like he did when he was a student...lolz

    its his way of trying to show how sorry he was for being "that" kind of student, accdg. to him....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Me, too, Jeffer. Can't imagine myself in Medicine. Blood, ewww...

    Teaching...When I was younger, I decided not to become a teacher. My parents were teachers. My mother still is, my father is retired. No one's actually making me. However, as I grow older, I realize that it is one thing that I want to do, to share whatever (supposed) expertise I have and maybe help mold an individual or two (more would be too much wishful thinking though that won't be so bad). So I do hope they'll get accept my application...

    ReplyDelete
  15. really? Allan said that? so he's taking it as some sort of a penance....but from what i hear, he seems to be enjoying teaching. i think he's one of those people who have the knack for it.

    as for me, when push comes to shove and i DO teach, it would have to be about something close to my heart. FUN would still be a huge factor for me to even consider it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. teaching is the 'noble profession', or so the saying goes....:-)

    it is not the blood that turns me off....it's the principle....i have opposing ideas about life and life-saving, ya see...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. "I have opposing ideas about life and life-saving"

    Please, do tell...

    ReplyDelete
  18. hmmm...let's just say that as much as i value LIFE, i am also pro-euthanasia....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah, you've mentioned that. I am, on the other hand, anti-euthanasia. But it's your opinion and I think if we debated on it, no one's ever going to bow down anyway, so I won't ask anymore. I do understand the POV's of people who share your stand.

    ReplyDelete
  20. thank you.

    well, in my case, the euthanasia issue comes in those instances where 'push comes to shove' :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Exactly one of those reasons I can understand... I sure don't want to be in the position of the one who is aksed to "pull the trigger"...

    ReplyDelete